1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
1 red chilli
2-3 medium potatoes
1 fresh tomatochopped
1 Green Chilli
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the cumin seeds and toss until they pop but don’t burn them.
- Add the onion seeds (kalonji) and a rough chopped red chilli and toss briefly.
- Add quartered and sliced potatoes raw.
- Toss in the oil and seeds making sure the potatoes are evenly dusted with the seeds.
- Add water to cover.
- Add mango powder (amchoor), a chopped fresh tomato, chopped fresh coriander, a green chilli and salt.
- Cover and simmer until the potatoes are soft and thoroughly cooked through breaking up gently so they thicken the water making a nice sauce.
- *The end consistency should be somewhat like a runny mashed potato but the slices of potato still visible.
- *Only a little oil is used to bring out the flavour of the seeds. You can be quite heavy with the seeds as the flavours will dilute in the sauce. The mango powder gives a lovely tangy flavour and then the potatoes simmer in all the juices of the herbs and tomatoes so none of the flavour is lost. Mango powder and onion seeds you should be able to get from any Indian supermarket.