- 7 eggs
- 400 grams zucchini grated
- 260 grams bacon chopped
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 35 grams butter equivalent to a couple tablespoons
- 30 grams extra virgin olive oil equivalent to a couple tablespoons
- 100 grams cheddar cheese shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 30 grams parmesan cheese grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper about 4 turns of the grinder
Believe it or not, this is a great recipe for anyone that thinks they don't like zucchini. It is also an ideal recipe for anyone trying to watch their carb intake. But above all it is the perfect recipe for anyone that just loves great tasting, easy to prepare food.
- Pre-heat oven to 160c
- Grease and line a 27 x 18 cm (11 x 7 inch) baking dish (size can be approximate) with baking paper.
- In a large nonstick fry pan, soften the onion in the butter and olive oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bacon and continue to cook for another 7 minutes.
- Transfer the onions and bacon to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, egg and cheeses to the bowl and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, use less salt if you are using a salty bacon.
- Pour into lined baking dish and place in oven.
- Cook for about 60 minutes, rotate after about 30.
- Check every 15-20 minutes. The slice is cooked when firm and does not wobble if you shake it.
- There may be some oil pooled on top when you remove it from the oven, you can soak it up with some paper towel, but I leave it on to soak back in