Wild Mushroom Risotto
- 1.5 litre chicken stock
- olive oil
- 40 grams butter
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 knob ginger 2 cm piece, finely grated
- 150 porcini mushroom fresh
- 100 grams enoki mushroom fresh
- 400 grams arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups parmesan finely grated
- 2 lemons zested
- 1 bunch coriander roughly chopped
- 30 grams butter
- 1 splash black truffle oil
- sea salt flakes
- freshly ground pepper
This is a great winter dish. Best served with grilled duck and a rich pan jus.
Fresh porcini mushrooms and black truffle oil are available from Waimea Trading in Rushcutters Bay and oyster, shittake and enoki from your local asian grocer. Jus available at T&R Gourmet Butcher in the Cosmopolitan Centre.
- Heat the chicken stock in a saucepan and keep on a low heat.
- In a large pan heat the olive oil and butter. Add onions, garlic and ginger. Cook slowly for ten minutes making sure to keep stirring.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for another five minutes. Take the mushrooms out of the pan and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and turn up the heat. Add the rice and cook for a few minutes until the rice is hot. Remember to stir the rice occasionally.
- Add the white wine and continue to stir until all of the liquid has cooked into the rice.
- Ladle the stock into the rice a cup at a time whilst continually stirring the dish.
- Once all of the stock has cooked into the rice add the mushrooms back into the rice.
- Add the parmesan, lemon zest and now season with the salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Finally add the butter, coriander and a splash of black truffle oil. Taste again and adjust seasoning according to your taste.