1/4 cup dark Japanese soy sauce
1/3 cup Mirin
1/4 Lemon Juice
1/4 orange juice
4 tablespoons kimchi sauce
2 tablepoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 whole baby chicken
160 grams sweet miso
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons Sake
2 tablespoons Mirin
2 tablespoons yamasa soy
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Peel the Cucumber and cut lengthways in half. Take out all seeds with a spoon. Slice into 1 cm thick slices to make nice half-moon shapes.
- Mix the dark soy sauce, Japanese rice vinegar, mirin, lemon juice, orange juice, kimchi sauce, sugar and sesame oil together and add your cucumber slices to the solution.
- Let marinate for at least 6 hours.
- Mix all other ingredients except the baby chicken together to form a paste.
- Smother the paste all over the baby chicken so that it is nicely covered and place in bowl or tray in the refrigerator.
- Leave it to marinate for at least 24 hours for maximum flavour.
- To cook, place under the grill in your oven preheated to 180 degrees c.
- Colour both sides until beautifully golden, approx. 5 minutes on either side.
- When finished, cut to make sure cooked well, if there are any signs of pink you will need to cook it for a few extra minutes.
- While the chicken is hot, cut into 6 pieces and arrange on a plate.
- Take some of the fresh cucumber pickles and arrange next to the chicken. You can also add a slice of lime as shown in the picture, a squeeze of the lime on the chicken will lift it into bliss.
- *Ask your butcher to spatchcock the baby chicken for you, this will save you having to remove the bones yourself.
- *And be sure you will be able to find all of these ingredients at your local Japanese outlet.
- *For extra flavour, try making this on your charcoal BBQ, takes a little more care not to burn it but the results will be surely fantastic.