300 grams shrimp meat
30 grams cuttle fish meat
1 egg whites
40 grams granulated sugar
sea salt flakes
white pepper from the mill
1 tablespoon potato starch
1 egg whitesfor crumbing
sugar cane stickspeeled cut to size
Vegetable Oilfor frying
200 millilitres Nouc Cham Vietdipping sauce
There are numerous variations of sugar cane shrimp recipes throughout Vietnam, Southern China and Thailand. This particular recipe calls for a cuttlefish and shrimp mousse that is breaded and deep-fried. Other sugar cane shrimp recipes are made with solely with shrimps or prawns, with the addition of crab meat to the mousse or even spiced with chili, basil and coconut milk, crusted in desiccated coconut flakes.
They are also not always breaded and fried, but also available steamed and steamed and then grilled. Whatever your preferences might be, sugar cane shrimp will always be a well liked dish whenever you serve it.
How to prepare the shrimps and cuttlefish mouse
- Clean and wash the shrimps and cuttlefish, then cut it into small cubes.
- Pat dry on a paper towel.
- In a food processor, blend the shrimp and cuttlefish until smooth and then add the remaining ingredients and adjust the seasoning.
How to prepare the sugar cane shrimp
- Cut a piece of the sugar cane about 10 cm (3 inch) long. Clean the outer hard shell off with a sharp chopper or Chinese cleaver. Cut square long stick in the size of a thick French fry approximate 12 cm or 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Oil your palm with a little vegetable oil and form an oval quenelle of about 40 g shrimp &cuttlefish mixture. Put the sugar cane stick into the middle and form well and smooth.
- Place on parchment paper and place in the fridge to cool. Dip in the beaten egg white and with the bread crumbs.
- Preheat the wok, add in the cooking oil over high heat till hot, put in the sugar cane prawns, deep fried till golden brown and cooked.