Sesame Tuna Recipe
- 4 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 600 grams tuna rolled in cling film like a very thick sausage, rest to form shape, then divide into 4 even pieces
- 200 millilitres Vegetable Oil
- 2 eggplants
- 100 grams red Miso paste
- 20 millilitres soy sauce
- 10 millilitres Sesame Oil
- 30 millilitres Sake
- 40 millilitres Mirin
- 50 grams Sugar
- 500 grams castor sugar
- 1 liter orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 150 millilitres orange caramel
- 50 millilitres Lemon Juice
- 50 millilitres orange juice
- 1 orange zest
- 1 Lemon Zest
- 900 millilitres Vegetable Oil
- 150 millilitres Lemon Oil
- 10 Egg Yolks
- lemon juice to taste
- orange juice to taste
Delicious sesame tuna recipe by Australian executive chef Nicholas Bennett. Combine it with miso eggplant & citrus mayonnaise for a treat.
Sesame Tuna Recipe
- Combine black and white sesame seeds.
- Roll the main section of tuna in sesame seed mix leaving ends without seeds .
- Heat oil in a large frying pan to a medium to high heat. Cook the tuna for 1 minute each side and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice lengthways in half.
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Slice the eggplant into 3cm rounds and salt for 1 hour, rinse and dry
- Place miso, soy, sesame oil, sake, mirin and sugar into a pot simmer for 30 minutes stirring constantly.
- In a saucepan heat the oil and gently fry the dry eggplant until it becomes golden brown, smear with the miso paste and cook for 20 minutes making sure the eggplant is very soft and a little caramelised.
- Once cooled remove the flesh and discard the skin, puree the eggplant in a high powered blender until very smooth.
- Make a dry caramel then carefully add the oj and reduce until all the caramel is melted.
- To check consistency, place a small amount on a cold plate.
- In a robot coupe place the yolks, mustard, caramel, lemon and orange juice and zest.
- Stream in the oils slowly until you have a thick mayonnaise.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and juices.
- Place into a squeeze bottle to serve.
- Place two spoonfuls of eggplant puree on the plate, two pieces of seared tuna next to the puree and drizzle with olive oil and sea salt.
- Then out of a squeeze bottle pipe two or three dollops of citrus mayonnaise on the plate.
- Sprinkle with shiso and serve.