Seared Tuna on Pickled Cucumber Ribbons
- 240 grams tuna loin cut into a 4x4cm square strip
- 5 grams Cajun spice
- olive oil for searing
- sea salt
For the cucumbers
- 1 piece large cucumber continental variety
- 5 grams Grand Marnier
- 5 grams
- 10 millilitres white wine vinegar
For the cherry tomatoes
- 90 grams cherry tomatoes
- 25 grams granulated sugar
- 50 millilitres red wine vinegar
- 30 grams Tapenade
- 12 piece curly lettuce for decoration
As it goes sometimes in the kitchen, aparty had a bit of an over flow on guests and we needed to prepare some extra items. In the hurry, and with the guests waiting, I used anything I could get my hands on. Mostly items that were ingredients for the one or the other a la carte dish currently on our menu. The guests were so happy with these little dishes, that they actually are now featured on our cocktail menu offering.
- Season the prepared tuna loin with sea salt and sprinkle with Cajun spice. Sear in hot skillet for approximately 30 seconds each side, browning the side well, while keeping the middle of the tuna raw. Set aside to cool
- Peel the cucumber completely. On a kitchen slicer or alternatively with a peeler, slice the cucumbers lengthwise into long strips from all sides, discarding the middle part with the seeds.
- Place the strips of cucumber neatly on top of each other and cut them uniformly into ½ inch (1cm) wide ribbons.
- Sprinkle the ribbons with sugar and salt and set them aside for at least 20 minutes. At this stage the cucumber will loose water and become soft and bendable. Drain the cucumber ribbons and pat dry, then marinate with the vinegar.
- With a paring knife cut a small cross on top of the cherry tomato.
- Blanch them very quickly in boiling water, and then chill rapidly in ice water.
- Remove the tomatoes from the ice water and peel off the skin. In a pan, bring the sugar to boil with the red wine vinegar, add the peeled cherry tomatoes and bring back to boil.
- Set aside to cool in room temperature, then place in the fridge, preferably in an airtight container and let marinated for at least 24 hours before usage.
- Place the curly lettuce on you preferred serving dish. Place the cucumber ribbons onto the lettuce.
- Cut the tuna into ½ inch thick medallions and place on top of the cucumber ribbons.
- With a teaspoon, add some Tapenade onto the tuna medallion and decorate the dish with one cherry tomato confit.