Reduced Balsamic is one of those incredibly simple items to prepare, it is simply Balsamic Vinegar that has been thickened by way of evaporation over heat.
This is a great ingredient to have on hand in any kitchen. It’s sweet yet slightly tart flavour not only is the perfect complement to many dishes but makes a very visually appealing garnish. Try it over grilled vegetables or salads and even on some desserts. When preparing this item I would not recommend you use your best and most expensive Balsamic vinegar as you will lose about 2/3rds to evaporation, however I would also avoid using a very cheap and acidic variety, as no matter how much you reduce these; they remain too vinegary. A nice middle of the road Balsamic vinegar is what I use.
- Pour the Balsamic vinegar into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes or until reduced by 2/3rds.
- Allow to cool and use as desired.
- I pour mine back into the bottle and mark it as “reduced”.
- It will keep for months and months in the pantry.