Homemade Potato Gnocchi
2 1/4 pounds Russet potatoes
2 medium eggs
1 1/2 cups Floursifted
1/2 cup parmesan cheesegrated
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
Davio's Wild Mushroom & Truffle Gnocchi Recipe
1 pound wild mushroom mix
3 cloves Garlicsliced thin
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
a splash white truffle oil
Homemade Potato Gnocchi Recipe
- Boil potatoes until tender.
- While hot, strain, peel and put through the ricer.
- Set aside, let thoroughly cool (this can be done the day before).
- On a board, form a “mountain” with cooled riced potatoes.
- Add sifted flour, Parmesan, salt & pepper.
- Make a hole at the top of the mountain and add the eggs into hole.
- Working for the eggs out, begin mixing eggs with potato until well blended.
- Cover with a slightly damp cloth or a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 2 foot long rolls about the size of a quarter in diameter.
- Cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Delicately dust with flour and place into a plastic container (only one layer with plenty of room).
- Cover and Freeze until ready to cook. (Once frozen, the gnocchi can be transferred into zip lock bags. The gnocchi can be kept frozen up to one month.)
- Bring 12 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil, add frozen gnocchi, cover and cook until water returns to a boil.
- Uncover, cook for an additional 2 minutes OR until the gnocchi begin to float.
- Strain gnocchi, add your favorite sauce, serve immediately in a warm, shallow bowl.
- Serve 10 gnocchi as an appetizer or 20 as an entrée (main course).
How to Prepare the Wild Mushroom and Truffle Gnocchi
- Place Sauté Pan Over Medium Heat, When hot add olive oil & sliced garlic. Brown Slightly.
- Add Wild Mushrooms & toss well.
- Turn Heat to Medium and Cook Mushrooms until Slightly brown. Tossing often.
- Season to taste with Salt & Pepper. Add splash of truffle oil.
- Toss Well.
- Optional Garnish After Tossing with Gnocchi:
- Add chopped fresh Italian Parsley and/or Shaved Parmigiano.