Peruvian Style Tamal Verde with Aji Amarillo Jam & Confit Duck Marland
Corn Base Dough
- 2 kilograms dried Andean corn
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 liters vegetable stock brown onions, celery, garlic, leek
- 2 liters vegetable stock Brown onions, celery, garlic, leek
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 piece star anise
Coriander, Aji Amarillo Paste
- 180 grams coriander leaves
- 130 grams lard
- 310 grams brown onion finely chopped
- 140 grams aji amarillo Peruvian yellow chili
- 4 clove garlic
- 150 millilitres olive oil
Final Tamal Verde Dough
- 500 millilitres vegetable stock
- banana leaves
Aji Amarillo Jam
- 500 grams aji amarillo
- 3 grams citric acid
- 500 grams caster sugar
- 500 grams water
Confit Duck Maryland
- 6 duck Maryland
- 5 litre brine
For the Brine
- 5 litre cold water
- 250 grams white sugar
- 500 grams
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 clove garlic
- Wash the dried Andean corn strains three times discard the water every time.
- Spread the corn in an oven tray been careful not to over lap any of them, set the convection oven at 5C and roast the corn for 15 minutes. In a medium size pot warm out the 4 Lt. of vegetable stock adding the bay leaves, cinnamon and star anise and then add the corn straight from the oven.
- Cook for 2 hours at medium heat always making sure that the corn is covered with vegetable stock.
- Once the Andean corn is cooked, strain and reserved the water, place in the Thermomix in small batches adding a little bit of the corn water and start blending at speed 4 and 30C temperature keeping the mix warm, repeat the process until finish.
- Note: The water is only to help the Thermomix to blend all the corn evenly, the end result would be a thick paste not runny.
- Blanch the Aji Amarillo and refresh, place in a small vacuum bag 4 garlic clove and the Aji Amarillo, 150 ml of olive oil seal on low vacuum. Place in a convection steam oven at 85C for 30 min.
- When the garlic and the aji Amarillo are ready, place in a medium size pot the lard, and chopped brown onions, sweat the onion at low heat, cool down one it’s completely transparent.
- Cool down the garlic and Aji Amarillo mix in the bag in a ice bath, ones it’s cold place the mix into the Thermomix adding the coriander leaves and the sweat onions, blend at full speed for 4 minutes making sure that you end up with a bright green paste, no cooking temperature needed for this step.
- Place the corn base dough in a big pot adding half of the vegetable stock and the coriander & Aji Amarillo paste for the Tamal mix all the ingredients adding slowly the remaining of the vegetable stock. Season the Tamal dough with the cooking salt.
- Weight 150 gr. of the Tamal dough and place it on a piece of fresh banana leave, wrap the tamal dough carefully and re-wrapped with clean film.
- Set the convection oven at 100C full steam and steam the tamales for 1 hour.
- In a small pot dissolved the sugar in the water at medium heat, add in the Thermomix the Aji Amarillo and blend at full speed for 3 minutes.
- Set the Thermomix at 60C and add the sugar water, cook for 10 minutes at speed 4.
- Cool down the mix
- In a big pot add 2 liters of water, sugar and rock salt. Dissolved the salt and sugar at medium heat add the remaining ingredients and bring the water to a simmering stage. Place the water in a plastic container and add the rest of the cold water.
- Store in the cool room to cool down the mix completely (is very important that the brine is completely cold to avoid poaching the meat)
- Ones the brine is completely cold place the duck marylands in the brine for 30 minutes.
- Take the duck marylands out of the brine and dry then completely with a kitchen towel, place them in a big vacuum bag carefully, seal on high vacuum.
- Set the convection oven on full steam at 75C and cook for 8 hours.
- Debone carefully the duck Maryland one they are warm, trying to keep the duck Maryland as one piece.
- In a hot caster pan add 1 spoon of duck fat once it is hot place the duck maryland skin down and allowed to crisp, take the duck maryland and place on a pizza tray, brush the skin with the Aji Amarillo jam and place into the oven for 2 minutes.
- Poach the Tamal wrap in boiling water for 4 minutes, unwrap and served warm.
- Cut the duck maryland in two pieces place it on top of the Tamal.