- 250 grams smooth peanut butter
- 375 millilitres thickened cream
- 8 Egg Yolks
- 250 grams Caster Sugar
- 35 grams liquid glucose
- 30 grams Buttercoarsely chopped
- 125 grams cocoa nibsroasted
- 80 grams each pistachios, walnuts and almonds
- 90 grams Caster Sugar
- 250 millilitres Cream
- 190 millilitres Milk
- 140 millilitres liquid glucose
- 185 grams Sugar
- 150 grams Butter
- bitter dark chocolate ice-cream
This dessert is fun and a bit cheeky but pays homage to that Middle-Eastern classic sweet, sticky, nutty baklava.
This recipe is from the February 2012 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
- Whisk peanut butter and 75ml cream in a bowl to combine.
- Whisk remaining cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes). Fold into peanut butter mixture and refrigerate.
- Whisk yolks in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (3-5 minutes).
- Stir sugar, glucose and 50ml water in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to the boil and cook until mixture reaches 115C on a sugar thermometer (3-4 minutes).
- Whisking yolks continuously on low speed, gradually add sugar syrup in a thin steady stream until combined.
- Increase speed to high and whisk until cool (8-10 minutes).
- Fold in peanut mixture, pour into a 20cm x 30cm tray lined with baking paper, smooth top and freeze until firm (4-5 hours).
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add cocoa nibs and nuts and stir occasionally until coated and warmed through (1-2 minutes).
- Scatter sugar over, stir until sugar melts and nuts are glazed (1-2 minutes), spread on a tray lined with baking paper and cool, then coarsely crumble.
- Shake nuts in a fine sieve to remove dust (discard). Place on a tray.
- Cut rounds of parfait with an 8cm-diameter pastry cutter dipped in hot water, place on a tray lined with baking paper and freeze until firm. Roll edges of parfait rounds in baklava crumbs (reserve some to serve) and freeze.
- Bring cream to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat, set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a separate saucepan over medium heat, whisk continuously until mixture reaches 135C on a sugar thermometer (10-15 minutes), remove from heat, whisk in cream and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Spread a little salted caramel on chilled serving plates, top with parfait, then top with a scoop of chocolate ice-cream. Scatter with extra baklava crumbs and serve.
Note: Cocoa nibs are available from health-food shops. To roast nibs, preheat oven to 180C, place nibs on a tray and roast, shaking tray occasionally, for 5-6 minutes.