25 button mushroomsor 8 large flat field mushrooms
1 Onionfinely diced
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon Fresh Thymechopped
100 grams Butter
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt flakes
This recipe is one of those occasions where the ability to use dried herbs in place of fresh is not an option. The fresh thyme and parmesan cheese work together to compliment the flavour of the mushroom in a way that the dried herb cannot. Making this dish using the larger field mushrooms also makes a great option for a vegetarian first course.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350 fahrenheit)
- Pull the stalk out of the centre of the mushroom caps and remove any excess stalk flesh left in the cap.
- Finely chop the removed stalks.
- In a heavy based fry pan, soften the onion in the butter and approx 3 tbsps of olive oil over medium heat for approx 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the chopped mushroom stalks and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme and remove from the heat.
- Add the bread crumbs to a large mixing bowl season with a little salt and pepper and add the contents of the pan, stir well.
- Add the parmesan cheese and the parsley, mix well.
- Using a teaspoon fill the mushroom caps with the mix, for the buttons you can overfill them and press the stuffing into a small mound sitting atop the mushrooms, for the field mushrooms just stuff them until the mix is level with the top of the mushroom.
- Place the stuffed mushrooms in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, place on a lightly oiled oven proof tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Serve the buttons on a canape platter.
- Serve the field mushrooms with a spinach salad to the side.