- 90 grams rocket lettuce
- 30 grams Pecorino cheese
- 1 piece nashi or asian pear
- 12 pieces cherry tomatoes
- pepper from the mill
For the dressing
- 45 grams honey
- 45 millilitres Lemon Juice
- 10 grams Dijon Mustard
- 30 millilitres cider vinegar
- 15 millilitres Thai fish sauce
- sea salt flakes
- white pepper from the mill
Nashi pears are sweet, very juicy and plumb and although not comparable to the European pear varieties they certainly can hold their own both in terms of taste and nutrition.
This salad combines the sweet Nashi pears with the peppery herbal flavors of rocket leaves and the salty ripened flavor of Pecorino Romano. Cheeses and Nashi pears are in a very good match, but Nashi pear is especially suited to stand up and complement bold, strong flavored cheeses – blue vein such as Stilton or Roquefort, Feta and other goat cheeses, and aged cheeses such as the Pecorino, Parmesan or Manchego.
- In a bowl, combine the mustard with the lemon juice, Thai fish sauce and honey. Whisk until completely dissolved.
- Season with the sea salt and pepper from the mill. As the Pecorino Romano cheese is fairly salty it is wise to keep your dressing slightly bland.
- Chill the dressing well until usage.
- Core the Nashi pear and quarter it. Slice the individual quarters further into very thin wedges.
- Clean the rocket leaves off the stem and cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Shave the Pecorino Romano cheese with a vegetable peeler into thin wide strips.
- Arrange the Nashi peas, rocket leaves and cherry tomatoes on the serving plates and drizzle with the dressing before serving.
- Add the Pecorino Romano shavings just ahead of serving the salad.