400 grams live lobster, or precooked lobster 14 oz
extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
4 mini milk buns
60 grams Sugar 2¼ oz
60 millilitres white vinegar 2 fl oz / ¼ cup
½ large carrot cut into thin sticks
1/8 medium daikon radish cut into thin sticks
45 grams shredded Chinese cabbage 1¾ oz / 1 cup
handful coriander (cilantro) leaves roughly torn
handful mint leaves roughly torn
¼ Lebanese (short) cucumber sliced very thinly
1 red chilli finely chopped
Milk buns, sold in Asian bread shops, have a beautifully soft texture and are best served fresh and warm. Double the recipe quantities if feeding a crowd.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) water. Bring to the boil, pour into a bowl and cool.
- Add the carrot, daikon and cabbage to the liquid and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to an airtight container and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Just before serving, strain off the liquid, then mix the remaining ingredients through.
- If using a live lobster, place it in the freezer for 30 minutes to put it to sleep.
- Place the lobster on a chopping board. Using a very sharp, strong knife, cut through the head, keeping the rest of the body intact.
- Place a large pot of water on the stove over high heat. Add the salt, to resemble sea water, and bring to the boil.
- Add the lobster to the pot, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 6–7 minutes. Remove the lobster with a slotted spoon and refresh in iced water.
- Use kitchen scissors to remove the cooked lobster head from the tail. Lay the body on its back and, using a strong, very sharp knife, cut it in half from the top of the tail to the bottom. Remove the flesh from the shell and discard the intestinal tract.
- Cut the flesh into four medallions and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Cut the buns in half widthways. Spread 2 teaspoons of the miso mayonnaise on the bottom half of each bun.
- Top with a lobster medallion and the slaw.
- Put the bun lids on top and serve.
Makes 4 Buns