2 French shallotspeeled, sliced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 Lemon Juice
4 tablespoons sea salt flakes
500 millilitres extra virgin olive oilgood quality
1 large head fennel
1/2 bunch shallots
4 slices bread soylinseed or sourdough
- Start with the sardines as they take the longest to prepare.
- Take a non reactive tray large enough to fit the twelve sardine fillets comfortably and pour in the juice of two lemons. Ensure you do this on a level surface so as the sardines get an even cure.
- Next sprinkle evenly with sea salt, oregano and sliced eschallots.
- Split the sardines on either side of the join in the fillets, check each sardine for scales and remove gently with the back of a knife.
- Place the cleaned sardines skin side up in the marinating mixture and cover with go between and press gently.
- Place in the fridge for six hours to marinate.
- When the sardines are ready, drain off all the lemon juice and any other juices that have gathered.
- The sardines can then be stored in an airtight container covered with olive oil for up to one week.
- Bring the sardines out of the fridge to soften the oil.
- Toast the bread.
- Mean while using a sharp knife or mandolin shave the fennel in to a bowl, mix in the shallots, season with lemon juice salt and pepper.
- Add the marinated sardines using some of the olive oil as dressing and arrange on top of the toasted bread.
- Serve immediately.