Mango and Passionfruit Meringue Roulade
- canola oil spray
- 6 egg white free range
- 1 cup caster sugar plu 1 tbsp extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 200 millilitres mango purée
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean split lengthways
- 1/2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 2 egg free range
- 150 millilitres pouring cream whipped
- 1 mango diced
- 4 passionfruit pulp only
This is one of the lightest desserts around — think pavlova with French flair! You could vary the flavour of the filling by using stone fruit or berries, and the result will always be a winner.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Line a 30 cm square baking tray with a baking paper. Spray with canola oil.
- Place the egg whites in the clean bowl of an electric mixer and whisk to soft peaks.
- At low speed, gradually add the sugar, cornflour and vanilla.
- Mix on high speed until the meringue is thick and glossy.
- Spread the meringue evenly over the baking paper, taking it right to the edge.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a slight golden colour. Don’t open the oven door while cooking!
- Sprinkle the extra sugar over a fresh sheet of paper on a flat surface.
- Turn out the cooked meringue onto the sugardusted paper.
- Gently peel the backing paper away and cool at room temperature.
- Place the mango purée, sugar and vanilla bean in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Mix the cornflour, flour and egg yolks together then add a ladle of hot mango juice to the mixture.
- Mix well and add back to the pan of hot mango juice, mix well again and cook over medium heat until the liquid starts bubbling.
- Once the custard is thick, remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Discard the vanilla bean, cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- When ready to assemble, loosen the custard with a whisk and gently add the whipped cream to lighten.
- Spread the custard evenly over the meringue with a spatula.
- Gently roll the meringue up to create a loose roulade.
- Set on a platter and chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, garnish the roulade with the mango and passionfruit pulp.