Mallard Duck Breast with Rhubarb, Fennel and Honey
Duck and Honey Butter
- 1 pound duck breast
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon star anise
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 heads fennel sliced
- 1 yellow onion peeled and sliced
- 3 clove garlic peeled and sliced
- olive oil
- 1 head fennel
- olive oil
- 4 stalks rhubarb sliced and reserved in bowl
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toast the fennel seed, coriander and star anise in a dry pan. Once toasted, add the butter and stir until golden brown. Stir in the honey and reserve.
- To cook the duck, sear the duck skin side down in a heavy pan for approx. 20 minutes to render the fat and to make the skin crispy. Then remove from the pan and baste the duck in the honey butter. Once basted, finish cooking in the oven for about five minutes.
- Cook fennel, onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil until caramelized. Puree in a blender when warm and reserve.
- Thinly slice a head of fennel and season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil to taste.
- Add the white vinegar, water and salt into a small pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Then pour over the sliced rhubarb.
- Divide the fennel salad, fennel puree and rhubarb between the two plates. Slice the duck and serve on top of the vegetables.