- 8 ounces Butter
- 8 ounces dark brown sugarsoft
- 8 ounces sultanas
- 8 ounces currants
- 8 ounces raisins
- 4 ounces glace cherries
- 2 ounces almonds coarselychopped
- 1 lemonrind of whole, juice of half
- 3 Eggs
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground mace
- 3 tablespoons brandy
This recipe belonged to my wife’s Mother, Helen. It’s delicious and without a doubt the best Christmas cake I have ever had.
Did I mention it’s delicious? Helen passed away and I wanted to share this recipe with you in honour of her. Putting it here on Chef’s Pencil with my name as the author is not strictly accurate, but I couldn’t think of another way to share it. I’m going to bend the rules just this one time.
Thank you, Helen.
How to Make Helen’ Christmas Cake
- Line the sides and bottom of an 8 inch round cake tin with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 300F / 150C.
- Beat the butter and sugar until it gets light brown.
- Add lightly beaten eggs (to stop it splitting add a tablespoon of the flour).
- Add the rest of the flour and mix until combined.
- Add all of the dried ingredients.
- Fold in the fruit and lemon juice.
- Add the brandy.
- Pour mixture into pre-lined tin.
- Bake for 3 – 3 3/4 hours.
- Remove from oven when done.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove from tin and cool on wire rack.
- Once cooled to room temperature cover with marzipan and ice with white fondant or basic icing sugar icing.