Halibut, Lobster Cavatelli, Apricot Salad
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1 lemon peel only
- 1 medium shallot
- chili to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Lobster and Pea Soffritto with Bacon
- 1/2 cup onion small dice
- 1/8 cup garlic small dice
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper1/8 small dice
- 1/4 cup tomato small dice
- 1/2 cup cooked lobster meat diced
- 1/8 cup bacon small dice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 litre bleached peas
- 250 grams cavatelli pasta uncooked
- 2 fresh apricots sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 handful pea sprouts
Here’s what to look for when buying fresh fish: Firstly, buy fish whole and have it filleted by your fish monger. Once bought, it should be consumed within a day or maximum two days. Before buying fish, look for bright clear eyes. The fish should not have a pungy smell, or be dull in colour. The fish should smell like clear water or ocean.
Gremolata and Soffritto sound complicated but are easy.
Gremolata is a garnish made in a blender. It consists of minced parsley, lemon peel and garlic. It's used in dishes to add a fresh, sprightly flavor. I use it in this dish as a spread on top of the Halibut to add a hint of flavor.
Italian Soffritto is a mixture typically made with diced onion, celery, bell pepper, and tomato lightly sautéed with olive oil. It can be used to flavour soup and sauces, and goes well with almost any dish. It is made by a quick sauté.
- Blend all ingredients in blender
- Marinate the halibut in the cilantro gremolata in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Place Onion and Garlic in a sauté pan with Butter and Olive Oil, turn on low heat to lightly brown the Onion and Garlic.
- Add the Bacon and cook on low for 2 min.
- Add Bell Pepper and Tomato and continue to cook until Peppers are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta in salted water. Be sure to add the salt to the boiling water just before the pasta goes in.
- While the pasta is cooking, season the Halibut with Salt and Pepper, grill for 5 to 10 min depending on desired doneness. (Make sure that both the grill and the fish are well oiled.)
- I recommend the Halibut to be medium as it becomes dry when cooked well done.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- While the Halibut is cooking:
- Warm up Soffritto and add Peas and diced Lobster.
- Spread Soffritto, Peas and diced Lobster on plate.
- Place Halibut on top.
- Spread a bit more Cilantro Gremolata onto the Halibut.
- Top with Apricot Salad, and Toasted Walnuts.