- 1 whole guineafowl
- 250 grams split dry fava beans
- 400 grams Carrotsdiced
- 400 grams Oniondiced
- 250 grams celerydiced
- 200 grams tomato paste
- 800 millilitres red wine
- Fresh Thyme
- 2 litres Chicken Stock
- spelt grains
- Bay Leaves
- Black Peppercorns
- Olive Oil
- duck fat
- Separate the breasts and legs. Keep the carcass, wings and the feet for jus
- Cut the end sections off and remove the thigh bones, rub the legs with salt and thyme and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Wash the legs incold water and pat dry.
- Place the legs in a baking dish and cover with melted duck fat.
- Add 12 peppercorns, 2 thyme sprigs , 2 bay leaves , cover with a lid.
- Cook in160c oven for about 4 hours until meat falls off the bone.
- Remove from the oven and rest uncovered for one hour.
- Carefully remove the legs from duck fat. Using cling wrap shape the leg meat like a sausage.
- Rest till firm in a refrigerator.
- Pan fry in butter adding salt, pepper, Sichuan, thyme , before you serve.
Pan Roasted Breast
- Skin side down in a non stick hot iron pan season the breast and fry with thyme and garlic cloves for approx. 3 minutes.
- Turn the breast and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add a knob of butter and rest for 3 minutes.
- Carve before you serve.
- Spread the bones, wings and feet in a single layer in a tray and roast in 200c oven for around 1 hour until bones are deep colour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a stock pot and sauté onions, celery, carrots, leeks until caramelised. Add the red wine and reduce to syrup consistency. Add roasted bones, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns and 2 liters chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and skim off all the fat and impurities that rise to the top.
- Simmer over low heat , uncovered, until reduced to 1⁄4 of original amount.
- Strain through a fine mesh chinois , reduce again before serving.
Fava Bean Puree
- Add 250gr dry fava beans into 750ml water.
- Add 4 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of salt.
- Simmer until beans are soft.
- Move from heat and 100ml extra virgin olive oil.
- Add 2 gr xantana (xantam gum).
- Using a hand blender puree the mixture and rest for one hour.
- Add finely chopped dill before serving.
- Pan fried the mushrooms with butter, salt and black peeper.
- To Finish
- Spoon one table spoon fava bean puree onto plate and smear with a small spoon.
- Place pieces of carved breast into center of the plate.
- Place confit leg,shimeji mushrooms, and toasted spelt grains around the breast.
- Finish with jus and cress leaves.
Chef Arman Uz 2013, Flanagans Dining Room ￼