4 (14 oz) boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
vegetable oil for deep-frying
1 free-range eggs
125 grams cornflour (cornstarch) 4½ oz / 1 cup
handful Thai basil leaves
1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice
Chipotle mayonnaise to serve
Soy & shaoxing marinade
2 clove garlic finely chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
½ teaspoon Sesame Oil
2 teaspoons shaoxing rice wine
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
½ teaspoon Sea Salt
1⁄8 teaspoon white sugar
Packed full of flavour, these little chicken morsels make a terrific snack. They are easy to prepare, and so much classier than regular fried chicken!
To Marinate the Chicken
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken pieces, making sure to completely coat them.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes, or up to 1 hour.
To Fry the Chicken
- Two-thirds fill a deep-fryer or large heavy-based saucepan with vegetable oil.
- Heat to 170°C (325ºF), or until a cube of bread dropped into the oil turns golden brown in 20 seconds.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl, and place the cornflour in a separate bowl.
- Working in batches, dip the chicken pieces in the egg, then the cornflour, and place into the oil.
- Fry for 3–4 minutes, until golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Drop the fresh basil leaves into the oil for a few seconds, then remove.
To Serve the Chicken
- Place the fried chicken in a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with the fried basil leaves and the five-spice powder.
- Toss to ensure all the chicken pieces are evenly coated.
- Serve immediately, with the chipotle mayonnaise.
Serves 4 as a snack