1 kilogram boneless skinless chicken thigh fillets
150 grams kalamata olives
1 tablespoon sprigs fresh rosemarychopped
1 tablespoon Fresh Thymechopped
2.5 teaspoons Garlicfinely chopped
4 anchovy filletschopped
2.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
160 millilitres red wine vinegar
160 millilitres White Wine
sea salt flakes
1-2 bunch arugula leaves
This is great example of a recipe that is healthy, easy, quick and yet still a very comforting winter dish. When I make this I rarely have it with anything more than a bottle of Pinot Noir and some ciabatta bread. Actually I lie, a few weeks ago I made it for a lunch and simply added arugula leaves, a little more vinegar, a splash of olive oil and served it with white wine.
- Trim the thigh fillets of excess fat and slice into 3 cm (1.5 inch) strips
- Remove the pits from the olives
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based fry pan over high heat
- Add the chicken, season with salt & pepper and sauté for 1-2 minutes
- Add the onion, anchovies, garlic and herbs
- Sauté for a further 2 minutes tossing or stirring occasionally
- Add the olives and sauté a further 2-3 minutes
- Add white wine to deglaze pan
- Reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes
- Return heat to high
- Add vinegar and stir to combine
- Taste for seasoning and serve immediately with some ciabatta bread, some steamed or grilled vegetables, and a nice pinot noir.
As a lunch alternative you can serve it as a salad, as photographed. To do so:
- Allow chicken to cool slightly and toss entire contents of pan with the arugula leaves.
- Dress with a little more olive oil and red wine vinegar and enjoy with a slightly chilled pinot noir or a solid chardonnay.