540 grams cherriesfully ripe but firm
30 grams all purpose flour
165 millilitres heavy cream 35%
165 millilitres Milk
45 grams granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 piece vanilla beanyou may substitute with vanilla essence
30 millilitres kirsch
icing sugarfor dusting
Although this is an original cherry Clafoutis recipe, you can adapt it with lots of different seasonal fruits. You can make a Clafoutis with blueberries, strawberries, figs, apples, pears and other type of fruit.
How to Make Cherry Clafoutis
- Pit the cherries and set aside (read our guide in how to pit cherries).
- Sift the flour and add the salt.
- Sprinkle the cherries with 1/2 of the sugar and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat the whole eggs and egg yolks fluffy; add 1/2 of the sugar, cream and the milk to it and beat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the small inner seeds. Add them to the batter.
- Combine the liquid ingredients with the flour to a smooth, liquid batter.
- Add the Kirsch to the batter, strain the cherries out of the liquid and add this liquid to the batter as well.
- Butter the pie dish very well.
- Add the cherries in the dish and pour over the batter until the cherries are just covered.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 170 C (340 F) for approximately 35-45 minutes or until all the batter has cooked and the top of the Clafoutis is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar just ahead of serving.