3 bunches asparagus
12 slices prosciutto
200 millilitres quality balsamic vinegar
The crisp asparagus is sure to please the lovers of all things green. The salty prosciutto will definitely make the meat lovers smile. The reduced balsamic will satisfy the sweet teeth amongst your guests and the ease of preparation is most definitely going to please you; the host, (that’s really all that matters isn’t it?) Enjoy your party.
- Place the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and place over low heat.
- Leave the saucepan over the low flame until it has been reduced by 2/3rds, remove and allow to cool.
- Trim the woody bases off the asparagus spears.
- Cut the remaining spears into 3 pieces (leaving the flower end slightly longer than the other 2).
- Fill a pot or large bowl with ice cubes and top with water.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, blanche the asparagus bits until vibrant & green (less than 1 minute).
- Strain and plunge them immediately into ice water, allow to cool.
- Cut the slices of prosciutto in half down the length (or the equivalent width of a belt around the asparagus bits).
- Arrange one flowery bit of asparagus and two stem pieces on a slice of prosciutto and roll until it has gone around 1 or 2 times and cut of the excess.
- Repeat this rolling process until all the asparagus bits have been used.
- Arrange all the asparagus bundles on a serving platter and gently spoon a little of the reduced balsamic on each one immediately before serving.