Aki’s Railway Goat Curry
- 100 millilitres sunflower oil
Garam Masala Whole
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 6 pods green cardamom
- 9 cloves
- 1 teaspoon mace threads/powder
- 2 Spanish onion
- 1.5 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic paste
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1.5 kilograms goat meat with bone
- 5 sprigs fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish over low to medium heat and add the whole garam masala except the mace. The mace will be added right at the end.
- Once the whole garam masala has released its aroma, add the sliced onions and cook till the onions are golden brown.
- Add the garlic paste first and cook for a minute
- Add the ginger paste and the powdered spices and cook for a couple of minutes sprinkling some water (1 tbsp) in order to stop the powdered spices from burning.
- Add the tomatoes and let the tomatoes work with the powdered spices till you see some oil separation around the edges.
- Now add the diced goat, season with salt. Coat the meat with mixture and stir for a further 5 minutes till the meat releases its juices. Now add a litre of water and cook over low to medium heat for an hour and a half.
- Check for the consistency of the sauce (should not be too thin). Add the fresh coriander leaves (4 sprigs) and the mace powder and remove from burner.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves for garnish before serving.