Agnello Brasato Con Sapori Mediterranei (Braised Lamb with Mediterranean Flavours)
- 1 lamb shoulder
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 celery sticks diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 100 millilitres balsamic vinegar
- 10 garlic cloves cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons cumin ground
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds ground
- 2 tablespoons toasted fennel seeds ground
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 small cans peeled tomatoes
- Chilli to taste
- Debone the lamb shoulder and remove most of the fat.
- Cut into 2cm by 2cm pieces.
- Sear the meat in a hot fry pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion, celery and carrot, then add the meat and stir.
- Add the vinegar and stir.
- Add the spices and garlic and stir.
- Season with salt, pepper and chilli and stir.
- Pass the tomatoes through a mouli, then add them to the pot and stir.
- Cook, partly covered with a lid, until the lamb is soft and tender.
- This usually takes between 2.5 to 3 hours.
- If the lamb begins to dry out, add a little bit of water as required.
- Serve hot, with cous cous or fregola.