- 7 eggs
- 400 grams zucchini grated
- 260 grams bacon chopped
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 35 grams butter equivalent to a couple tablespoons
- 30 grams extra virgin olive oil equivalent to a couple tablespoons
- 100 grams cheddar cheese shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 30 grams parmesan cheese grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon
- freshly ground black peppe about 4 turns of the grinder
Believe it or not, this is a great recipe for anyone that thinks they don't like zucchini. It is also a great recipe for anyone trying to watch their carb intake. But above all it is a great recipe for anyone that just loves great tasting, easy to prepare food.
- Pre-heat oven to 160c
- Grease and line a 27 x 18 cm (11 x 7 inch) baking dish (size can be approximate) with baking paper.
- In a large nonstick fry pan, soften the onion in the butter and olive oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bacon and continue to cook for another 7 minutes.
- Transfer the onions and bacon to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, egg and cheeses to the bowl and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, use less salt if you are using a salty bacon.
- Pour into lined baking dish and place in oven.
- Cook for about 60 minutes, rotate after about 30.
- Check every 15-20 minutes. The slice is cooked when firm and does not wobble if you shake it.
- There may be some oil pooled on top when you remove it from the oven, you can soak it up with some paper towel, but I leave it on to soak back in