Yellow Fin Tuna Tataki with Fried Garlic, French Onion, Light Citrus Sauce & Fresh Herbs
- 250 grams tuna sashimi backside loin fillet
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns crushed
- 50 millilitres soy sauce
- 150 millilitres mirin
- 100 millilitres rice vinegar
- 5 grams bonito flakes
- 50 millilitres lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fried garlic
- 1 French onion finely chopped
- micro herbs for garnish
- Mix black & white sesame seeds & crushed peppercorn in a rectangular container and then coating the tuna fillet with the sesame mix.
- Heat up a flat fry pan with some vegetable oil, sear each side of the tuna fillet for about 10 seconds over medium heat.
- Put into fridge for 15 minutes.
- Put soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar in a saucepan, bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat. When it reaches a boil, remove from heat and add the bonito flakes.
- Let stand until the bonito flakes sink to the bottom of the pot, about 15~20 minutes.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve, sit aside and allow cooling down.
- Add the lime juice in when the sauce is cold, mix well and store in a squeeze bottle.
- Keep in fridge.
- Take the tuna tataki out of fridge, use a sharp knife to thinly slice the fish.
- Neatly place those sliced fish on a plate, drizzle the citrus sauce over, sprinkle fried garlic, chopped French onion on top of each slice of fish, and then garnish with mixed micro herbs.