Slow Braised Master Stock Pork Belly with Lemon Curd, Jap Pumpkin, Broccolini & Star Anise Jus
- 6 litre water
- 3 clove garlic sliced
- 1 piece ginger sliced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 star anise
- 350 millilitres light soy sauce
- 350 millilitres mirin
- 50 grams palm sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter chilled
- 2 lemons zest and juice only
- 1 side pork belly bones out, skin on
- 6 large melon balls of pumpkin per serving
- 2 broccolini per serve
- 1 nasturtium leaf and flower
- Fill a 10L stockpot with the cold water.
- Add garlic, ginger, shallots, aromatics and other ingredients.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 1 hr.
- Let cool and place in the refrigerator.
- * makes 400ml
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl until smooth.
- Place bowl over pot of boiling water and add butter, juice & zest.
- Whisk continuously until thick.
- Strain through a sieve and place in a sterilised container.
- Place the belly into a large pan and cover with the masterstock
- Braise for 4 hours @ 150 degrees or until tender
- Once cooked, drain stock and keep for next time (can be frozen down).
- Press down between another large pan until totally cooled down
- Portion into required size (this is 3cm x 5cm)
- To reheat pork, put in oven with pumpkin for 12 minutes at 180 degrees
- Cook broccolini in salted water until tender
- To plate, place lemon curd on plate, then broccolini, and pumpkin scattered around.
- Place pork belly on broccolini and sauce, garnish with nasturtiam leaves & flowers.