Seared Yellowfin Tuna with Sweet Pork Crackling, Ruby Red Grapefruit & Black Pepper Caramel
- 200 grams piece of pork belly skin on
- 1 x 400 grams sashimi grade tuna loin
- 3/4 cup 95 gram (available at Thomas Dux & Essential Ingredient stores or purchase directly online at www.serendiptradingco.com.au )
- vegetable oil
- 2 ruby red grapefruit segmented
- 1 1/2 cups black pepper caramel 375 ml (available at Thomas Dux & Essential Ingredient stores or purchase directly online at www.serendiptradingco.com.au )
- baby shiso leaves to garnish
This recipe for seared yellowfin tuna with sweet pork crackling, ruby red grapefruit & black pepper caramel is one of my all-time favourite dishes. Once you get it right it will wow anyone lucky enough to taste it. The black pepper caramel sauce & chill salt is available online, all you need to do is serve!
**Thanks to Sabrina Horn Photography for the stunning photo**
- Steam in a bamboo steamer, covered, over a wok of boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Remove and whilst the belly is still hot, lightly score the skin at 1cm intervals using a sharp knife, then rub salt into the score marks.
- Place the belly on foil, folding the sides up to the skin, leaving the skin uncovered.
- Place into a deep tray; add water until the belly is half submerged.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 240°C (fan-forced) or until the skin is crisp and crackling.
- Once cooked, cut the crackling away from the belly and scrape off any remaining fat.
- Cut into strips and set aside.
- Slice the belly into 1cm slices and keep warm until ready to use.
- Coat the tuna loin in chili salt and sear evenly all over in a lightly oiled hot pan.
- Remove from pan and sat aside to cool.
- Slice into 1cm thick pieces.
- Assemble layers of pork belly, grapefruit and tuna.
- Drizzle with black pepper caramel.
- Garnish with shiso leaves and pork crackling.