- 2 kilograms kurobuta pork belly bones removed
- 300 grams table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground star anise
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground all spice
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- extra virgin olive oil for rubbing
- 300 grams castor sugar
- 100 millilitres rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 vanilla bean split
- 5-6 green apples peeled
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- Score the pork with a knife, forming a criss-cross pattern about 1 cm apart. Mix together the salt and spices and rub all over the pork. Cover and leave for 2 hours, then rinse the salt mix off the pork and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C.
- Place the pork on a wire rack in a roasting tin, skin-side up, and rub with a little oil. Roast for 30 minutes until the skin is crispy, then reduce the temperature to 160°C. Roast the pork for a further 40 minutes until tender. Remove, cover with foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- To prepare the apple sauce, place the sugar,vinegar and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan, bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes. Add the apples and lemon juice and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and take out the vanilla bean.Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To serve, cut the pork into slices and spoon the apple sauce over the top.