Rice Noodles, Shredded Chicken & Sesame Paste
- 1 continental cucumber seeds removed cut into julienne
- 3 spring onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coriander loosely packed
- ground sichuan pepper
- chilli oil to serve
- sesame oil to serve
- 1.2 kilograms organic chicken
- 2 spring onions
- 5 coriander sprigs
- 3/4 teaspoon
- 4 piece ginger crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 50 millilitres water
- 60 grams mung bean flour
- 300 grams water
- To prepare the chicken begin by rinsing under cold water, drain and remove any excess fat and skin from the cavity and around the neck.
- Cut off and discard the parsons nose.
- Place the chicken in a large pot, enough to fit the chicken snugly.
- Roughly chop the spring onions into 5cm pieces and add to the pot with the coriander sprigs, salt, ginger pieces, peppercorns and then add enough water to cover the chicken.
- Cover and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer very gently for 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and leave the chicken in the pot for a further 10 minutes.
- Place the pot into the fridge and allow to cool.
- For the sesame paste combine all ingredients together and stir well. If the paste is too thick you may need to add a little extra water.
- Once the chicken is completely cool remove from the pot. Remove the breast meat and set aside. Shred the meat from the remaining chicken off the leg and carcass, then carefully slice your white breast meat and keep aside.
- Meanwhile peel and seed your cucumber and julienne into 10cm long pieces. Lightly salt for 10 minutes and drain off excess water.
- Finely slice your spring onions, only use the white part and a small amount of the green section.
- Pick the coriander leaves.
- To make the noodles, whisk the water and flour and quickly pour into a lightly greased tray approximately 31cm by 21cm.
- Place the tray in the steamer and steam for 20 min.
- When ready remove from the steamer and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Turn the noodles onto a chopping board and cut into even sized pieces 1cm by 4 cm.
- Toss the cut noodles in a few drops of vegetable oil and store in the fridge until ready to use. These are best used on the same day.
- In a small bowl, season the shredded chicken with a pinch of salt and a few drops of sesame oil.
- Separately, toss the noodles in a few drops of sesame oil and season with salt.
- Arrange the noodles on a serving platter and top with the shredded leg meat and cucumber.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the sesame sauce over the chicken.
- Next, sprinkle the spring onions over the entire dish, spoon over the chilli oil, sprinkle with Sichuan pepper and coriander leaves.
- Finally season the cut chicken breast with a little salt, arrange your sliced white breast meat on top and present.