- balsamic vinegar 2/3rds of the volume will be lost, so decide before you start how much you would like to be left with
Reduced Balsamic is one of those incredibly simple items to prepare, it is simply Balsamic Vinegar that has been thickened by way of evaporation over heat.
This is a great ingredient to have on hand in any kitchen. It's sweet yet slightly tart flavour not only is the perfect complement to many dishes but makes a very visually appealing garnish. Try it over grilled vegetables or salads and even on some desserts. When preparing this item I would not recommend you use your best and most expensive Balsamic vinegar as you will lose about 2/3rds to evaporation, however I would also avoid using a very cheap and acidic variety, as no matter how much you reduce these; they remain too vinegary. A nice middle of the road Balsamic vinegar is what I use.
- Pour the Balsamic vinegar into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes or until reduced by 2/3rds.
- Allow to cool and use as desired.
- I pour mine back into the bottle and mark it as "reduced".
- It will keep for months and months in the pantry.