Scallop Tiradito with Aji Amarillo
- 1 pound sea scallops fresh
- ½ cup Crema de Aji Amarillo*
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion chopped (optional)
I learned of Ceviche and Tiradito (the thinly sliced version of ceviche) while traveling around Peru with friends in 2006. This one is my favorite; and because it is not too spicy or acidic, it’s a real crowd pleaser and great for parties.
- To prepare the marinade, boil the garlic clove in salted water for several minutes to remove some of the pungency.
- Once the garlic is slightly soft when squeezed, place it in a blender with the Aji Amarillo, corn oil, lemon juice, lime juice, garlic.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth and season with salt to taste.
- Slice the scallops about ¼ inch thick arrange on a chilled plate.
- Spoon the marinade over the scallops and sprinkle with cilantro and red onion.