Peeling and Deseeding Tomatoes
Photography by: Jason Hamilton
Ever wonder how they get the skins off the tomatoes you buy in cans? It's really quite a simple process. In this tip I'll show you exactly how and also how to take the seeds out.
- Cut a superficial X into the bottom of your tomatoes.
- Plunge them into boiling water for a few seconds.
- Remove them from the water and place directly into ice water.
- Allow to sit for about half a minute.
- Remove them from the ice water and simply peel by pulling the skin from the X down.
- Once peeled you can either:
- Cut a little off the top of the tomato and holding the tomato from the bottom, squeeze the tomato until the seeds squish out.
- Or you can (my preferred method) cut the tomato into quarters length wise and with a pairing knife cut under the seeds from the base of each quarter to the top.