Orange & Beet Breakfast Smoothie
- 90 grams beet root cooked, peeled
- 240 millilitres orange juice freshly squeezed, strained
- 1 piece lemon lemon juice only
- 5-6 piece ice cubes
- 15 grams honey
- 1 piece mint sprig
- orange slice
Beetroot, in my view, is a much underrated vegetable. With the exception of the Scandinavian countries, where beetroot is a staple, it seems that beetroot is cheap and perhaps used for some salad at times. This beautiful root tough is full of nutrition and antioxidants and has been used for years as part of cancer prevention and treatment.. It’s a great source of potassium, dietary fiber and phosphorous. Its flavor can be a little “earthy, musky” but cooked beets have a real sweetness to the flesh. Blend this with a couple of ice cubes, good quality honey and freshly squeezed orange juice (at this stage you may want to add some yellow or red bell pepper juice as an variation) with all its goodness and I think that this is one great tasting healthy breakfast juice.
- Cook the beet root, with the skin, in plain water until well soft. Drain and leave to cool. Peel the beetroot while still warm. Ensure that you wear gloves during that process, as avoid the purple flesh stain your hands deep red in color.
- Chill the beetroot well.
- In a blender combine the ice, honey and lemon juice all ingredients and blend well to a smooth pulp.
- Turn on the blender to high speed and incorporate the orange juice. Adjust lemon and honey to taste and serve well chilled.