Lemon Tart – Italian Leafy Lemons with Crème Fraiche
- 500 grams flour
- 300 grams unsalted butter softened
- 200 grams icing sugar
- 4 egg yolks or 80g in weight
- 8 eggs
- 500 grams caster sugar
- 140 grams unsalted butter melted and kept warm
- 10 leafy lemons juiced
- 6 lemon zest
- Rub the butter and flour together until you have fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix the egg yolks with the icing sugar and then add to the flour and butter.
- Mix and bring together but do not overwork.
- Rest for one hour in the fridge.
- Grease and lightly flour a 28cm x 2.5cm plain flan ring and place on a rubberised mat or silicone paper, ensure you have a heavy flat baking tray to cook the tart on.
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 3mm and then line the mould carefully pushing the pastry into the corners.
- Line the tart with parchment paper or heavy duty cling film before filling with baking beans.
- Chill for at least one hour.
- Once rested bake at 180˚c or until golden, remove the beans and return to the oven for the base to finish cooking.
- Seal the pastry by brushing with egg yolk, place back in the oven to cook the egg.
- Gently heat the lemon juice with the sugar and zest, whisk onto the eggs and add the melted butter.
- Mix well and then strain through a muslin cloth.
- Carefully pour into the pastry case and then bake at 140˚c until set.
- Allow to cool.
- Slice the tart into 8 and then dust with icing sugar.
- Caramelize using a blowtorch and serve with a quenelle of crème fraiche.