Helen’s Christmas Cake
- 8 ounce butter
- 8 ounce dark brown sugar soft
- 8 ounce sultanas
- 8 ounce currants
- 8 ounce raisins
- 4 ounce glace cherries
- 2 ounce almonds coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon rind of whole, juice of half
- 5 eggs
- 8 ounce plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 3 tablespoons brandy
This recipe belonged to my wife's Mother, Helen. It's delicious, and without a doubt the best christmas cake I have had. Did I mention it's delicious? Helen recently passed away and I wanted to share this recipe with you in honour of her. Putting it here on Chef's Pencil with my name as the author is not strictly accurate, but I couldn't think of another way to share it, so I'm going to bend the rules just this one time. Thank you, Helen.
- Line the sides and bottom of an 8 inch round cake tin with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 300F / 150C
- Beat butter and sugar until light brown.
- Add lightly beaten eggs (to stop it splitting add a tablespoon of the flour).
- Add the rest of the flour and mix until combined.
- Add all of the dried ingredients.
- Fold in the fruit and lemon juice.
- Add the brandy.
- Pour mixture into pre-lined tin.
- Bake for 3 - 3 3/4 hours.
- Remove from oven when done
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove from tin and cool on wire rack.
- Once cooled to room temperature cover with marzipan and ice with white fondant or basic icing sugar icing.