- 20 grams clarified butter
- 90 grams yellow onion minced
- 6 grams garlic minced
- 700 grams heavy cream
- 250 grams fresh corn kernels
- 3 grams lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 600 grams corn puree
- 3 egg yolks
- salt to taste
Smoked Trout Gravlax
- 1 ocean trout fillets skin on fillet
- 28 grams gin
- 55 grams kosher salt
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- 4 grams black peppercorns
- applewood chips
- Aladdin smoking gun
Hard Boiled Eggs
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 grams trout gravlax
- 2 grams hard boiled egg
- 12 grams corn sabayon
- hot smoked paprika / pimenton
- chive garnish
- 0.5 gram trout roe
- egg cup
- In a rondeau saute onion in clarified butter until soft, then add the garlic and corn and saute until soft for about 30 minutes on low heat.
- Add the heavy cream and simmer until reduced by half.
- Stir frequently to prevent corn and onion from caramelizing on the bottom of the pan.
- Once it has reduced by half, vitamix the corn mix on high and strain through chinois. Season with salt and lemon juice.
- Set up a double boiler for this procedure.
- Warm corn puree over the double boiler.
- In a large separate bowl whisk egg yolks and temper in the corn puree.
- Once tempered, place over double boiler and whisk the sabayon over the double boiler until emulsified. It will be thick enough once slightly beyond nappe.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and lemon juice as needed.
- Transfer sabayon to ISI siphon and charge with two cream charges.
- Hold in water bath at 58C.
- Remove pin bones, line a 1/3 pan with plastic wrap, place the fillet on the plastic wrap, skin side down.
- Pour the gin evenly over the trout. Combine kosher salt, sugar, and peppercorns together in a small bowl.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the entire surface of the trout.
- Cover fillet with plastic wrap and place another 1/3 pan on top. Weigh down 1/3 pan to press trout.
- Cure refrigerated trout overnight.
- The next day remove the trout, wash off the cure and place back in the third pan.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and pump full of smoke using the Aladdin smoking gun.
- Return to walkin and let sit until all of the smoke has dissipated and been absorbed, about 3 hours.
- Skin fillet and small dice trout.
- Place eggs in a saucepot large enough to cover with water by one inch.
- Heat over high until boiling.
- Remove from burner, cover, and let eggs stand in water for 12 minutes.
- Prepare an ice bath. Shock, and peel.
- Cut eggs into small dice.
- Slice chive on an extreme bias to create garnish. 1 cm long pieces for the garnish.
- Heat trout gravlax and deviled egg until just warm to the touch.
- Fill egg cup half way with corn sabayon, add the warmed egg and trout.
- Fill the egg cup again with sabayon, tap gently until sabayon falls slightly.
- Top off again with sabayon.
- Dust with pimenton on top to garnish.
- Finish with a small amount of trout roe and chive garnish.