Corn and Coriander Fritters
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 2 spring onion finely chopped
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 knob ginger finely chopped
- 1/3 bunch coriander leaves chopped
- 1 medium chilli seeds removed, finely chopped, seeds can be left in if you like a little kick
- 1 tablespoon dried cumin
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- sea salt flakes
- pepper grinder
- olive oil
The great thing about corn fritters is that they are perfect anytime of the day. Have them at breakfast with a little wilted spinach, some bacon and roast tomatoes. Serve them at lunch with a salad of arugula, fetta and salmon. Use them for dinner as the base to any seafood or chicken dish. When entertaining serve mini-fritters as a canape topped with a little smoked chicken and mango salsa. The options are endless and I trust that once you give this recipe a try, you will soon be adding to the list of endless possibilities. This recipe makes about 12 fritters so depending on what you are using them for adjust it accordingly.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350 fahrenheit).
- Saute the onion and ginger in a little oil until soft and translucent.
- Place the flour, 1 cup of the corn kernels, onion, ginger, cumin, water and eggs into a food processor and process until well combined.
- Place mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir through the remaining corn, shallots, chilli, and coriander and season the mixture with sea salt and black pepper.
- In a non-stick fry pan place a little oil and set over high heat.
- Using a 30 ml (1 oz) ladle cook fritters 2 at a time, approx 1 minute per side or until golden.
- Transfer to an oven proof rack and tray and cook for a further 3-4 minutes in the oven.