- 3 bunches asparagus not too thick
- 12 slice prosciutto
- 200 millilitres quality balsamic vinegar
- Place the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and place over low heat.
- Leave the saucepan over the low flame until it has been reduced by 2/3rds, remove and allow to cool.
- Trim the woody bases off the asparagus spears.
- Cut the remaining spears into 3 pieces (leaving the flower end slightly longer than the other 2).
- Fill a pot or large bowl with ice cubes and top with water.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, blanche the asparagus bits until vibrant & green (less than 1 minute).
- Strain and plunge them immediately into ice water, allow to cool.
- Cut the slices of prosciutto in half down the length (or the equivalent width of a belt around the asparagus bits).
- Arrange one flowery bit of asparagus and two stem pieces on a slice of prosciutto and roll until it has gone around 1 or 2 times and cut of the excess.
- Repeat this rolling process until all the asparagus bits have been used.
- Arrange all the asparagus bundles on a serving platter and gently spoon a little of the reduced balsamic on each one immediately before serving.