Pigs Ear Schnitzel with Corn and Crab Salad
- 6 pigs ears
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 100 millilitres port
- 600 millilitres chicken stock
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 ginger 4cm fresh knob
- 5 gelatine leaf
- 1 corn on the cob
- 500 grams crab meat
- 500 millilitres olive oil
- 1 bunch basil
- 250 grams coriander seeds
- 50 millilitres lemon juice
- 5 apples
- 40 grams butter
- dash water
- 1 vanilla bean
- Sweat down vegetables in a large base pot, add the port and bring to the boil.
- Add the pigs ears and chicken stock and bring to the boil
- Cover with glad bake and foil and place in a low oven (150 C) for about 4 hours or until soft.
- Let the ears cook a little then drain off stock
- Lay ears flat on baking paper lined trays, press with a weight and leave over night.
- Remove the next day and trim into triangle shapes.
- Set up a crumbing station – flour, egg wash, crumbs and crumb the ears twice each then deep fry for about 3 – 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Bring all ingredients up to the boil and infuse for 4 – 5 mins.
- Pulse in a blender then strain.
- Soak Gelatin in cold water and then dissolve in hot ginger mix, set in a container overnight.
- Cut corn off the cob.
- Heat a pan with oil, add corn and season and toast lightly until soft to bite
- Toast coriander seeds in a pan, place these along with the basil into a blender and pulse slowly then add the oil.
- Strain through a fine sieve, add lemon juice and season to taste.
- Mix the crab and the dressing and season.
- Peel and core apples, place then in a heavy base pot with butter and vanilla put on a low heat and cover.
- Cook for 20 mins or until they are soft, then blend in a blender until smooth.
- Mix the corn and crab with together with the vierge dressing and lightly season.
- Arrange on a plate and garnish with baby basil leaves.
- Once the pig ear is cooked place on top of salad, put a small dollop of apple sauce on top and a few spoons of ginger jelly around the dish.