When it comes to making the world’s best pizza, Australian Pizzaiolo don’t usually spring to mind – but one Aussie has changed that.
Known as “Mr Pizza” at home, Melbourne based Johnny Di Francesco was recently named the best in the world at The 2014 World Pizza Championships in Napoli.
Johnny’s passion for Italian cusine draws from traditional Neapolitan techniques, with his family originating from Naples.
And with a host of award wins and a number of successful restaurants under his belt, Johnny has established himself as a force to be reckoned with internationally.
On invitation, Johnny spent much of early 2014 overseas to represent his home country in several key pizza events. Judging and competing. Johnny visited Paris, Las Vegas and Parma to share his expert knowledge and put his unique stamp on the international pizza domain.
Culminating in his Wolrd Pizza Championship win, Johnny has gained national and international media attention, media coverage and recognition.
Johnny’s dedication to making world-class pizza has also awarded him the coveted position of Australasian Principal of V.P.N, an international association based in Naples that is dedicated to protecting and promoting authentic Neapolitan Pizza. Only two chefs in Australia have been awarded this honor.
Accolades and Achievements
- *Crowned #1 at the 2014 World Pizza Championship for best STG pizza in 2014
- *Australasian Principal of V.P.N
- *Named #3 at the 2014 Vegas International Pizza Expo for STG pizza
- *Invited back to World Pizza Championship to judge in 2015
- *Face of Breville’s new home pizza oven featuring across the Qantas and Jetstar networks
- *Captain of The Australian Pizza Team
- *Ambassador and judge representing Australia at regular international events such as The International Pizza Expo in Las Vegas and the famous Parizza event in Paris
- *National and international media sensation, putting Australia on the world map for amazing, authentic pizza
- *Creation of the 99 cheese pizza, resulting in international coverage
- *Invited to create pizza to celebrate Sophia Loren’s Melbourne visit